But hold on a minute, are Singaporeans really xenophobic? Xenophobia is defined as "an unreasonable fear of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange." Let's examine the behaviour of foreigners in Singapore and ask ourselves if there is reason to be fearful of foreigners.
- They vandalise [Oliver Fricker, link] and then flee justice [Lloyd Dane Alexande,r link]
- They assault us and then flee justice [miller, springall, dahlberg, link].
- They kill us [PRC bus driver, link] and then flee justice.[Ionescu, link]
- They take millions of tax payer dollars in scholarship money [link], and some even have the audacity to insult us while doing so [Sun Xu]
- Many of these foreign scholars aren't particularly brilliant, anyway [link]
- They are racist [link]
- They think we are shit [link].
- They take our jobs. See [here] and [here]
- They contribute to skyrocketing property prices. [link]
- They abuse public housing [pinoy hdb motel, link]
- They overload our infrastructure [link] and contribute to MRT breakdowns [link]
- They refuse to pay for taking public transport [link]
- They do weird stuff that looks like kidnapping [link]
- They drag down our productivity [link]
The misbehaviour of foreigners and ill-effects of the immigration policy are clear for all to see. And yet the Govt wants to accuse singaporeans of having "an unreasonable fear of foreigners"?
Most foreigners are self-centered, mercenary, calculative and unscrupulous. They are just here to make money and at the slightest whiff of a better opportunity, are ready to pack up and go back home or to other 'greener' pastures. They have no vested interest in the development and growth of Singaporean society, and many are disrespectful of our culture, our laws and the values that we hold dear.
I think it is clear that Singaporeans have plenty of reasons to fear the presence of foreigners in Singapore. It is only a natural emotional response to be wary of those who are here for selfish gain and who have no respect for our society.
Things had better start changing soon, or the shit is going to hit the fan.